Arts & Crafts masterpiece homes for those who appreciate careful planning, superior craftsmanship, and attention to period details.
Arts and Crafts style homes embody the ideals of hand made beauty and perfection in simplicity. After many years of specializing in original bungalows, Frank Brown decided to bring together the best of both worlds: modern convenience and durability with the aesthetic and careful attention to detail present in the originals. Craftsman-derived bungalows typically present these details, many of which you can see in the images below:
- Low-pitched roof which may be gabled or hipped
- 1-1 1/2 stories, sometimes two
- Large porches covered by the overhanging roof and supported by substantial columns
- Broad eaves with exposed rafters
- Decorative knee braces and elaborated rafter ends
- Open floor plan with front entry opening directly into the living room
- Lots of windows and doors to exterior porches or verandas
- Large fireplaces often with built-in cabinetry, shelves, or benches on either side
- Built-in cabinetry such as buffets, china cabinets, and bookcases; beamed ceilings; simple wainscot sometimes with a plate rail, most commonly seen in dining and living room
- Dormers, shed, hipped or gabled
- Double-hung or casement windows with multiple lights in the upper window and a single pane in the lower, often seen in continuous banks. Simple, wide casings
Ready to have one of your own? Drop us a line!